Promoting Obesity: WHAT A CROCK!

NB: I'm going to go ahead and use "I" and "WE" interchangeably for this post. Also, any and all puns are intentional.

Have you noticed that bigger, body positive people have been a growing presence in A LOT of media outlets lately? HAVE YOU NOTICED???

Have you seen the August issues of Runner's World and summer issue of Women's Running Magazines featuring larger athletic people both inside and outside?

Or, maybe you saw the beautiful spread in ESPN The Magazine's Body Issue, also published this summer.

Perhaps you are vaguely aware of more people without what some call aspirational bodies staring at your from billboards, advertising things that people with and without so-called aspirational bodies like and buy....like, um, soap and deodorant. Fat people use soap too. Tall and short people use soap. Skinny people use soap. Kids use soap....well, sometimes.

Maybe you've just looked at yourself in the mirror and appreciated your body for what it is, what INCREDIBLE things it can do (whatever body type and genes you have), and how INSANELY F-KING BEAUTIFUL IT IS.

My BigBeautifulBody on a recent trail run.

Apparently to some, all of these FAT PEOPLE in their FAT CLOTHES doing their FAT PEOPLE THINGS are disturbing the NON-FAT peace. WE ARE DISTURBING THE PEACE,  FOLKS. WE ARE ROCKING THE NORM. Because of this, some people are angry, like vehemently and irrationally angry/fake funny like that fake comedian that I'm not even going to link because what self-respecting person needs to watch that fat-shaming crap again, with her fake concern at the end of her rant against fat folks.

Like, so angry they say shit like, we are promoting obesity.

By running while fat, we are promoting obesity.
By playing tennis, swimming and walking out in the open, you know, in FRONT OF PEOPLE, we are promoting obesity.
By eating in front of people, we are promoting obesity
By saying "I am at peace with my body", we are promoting obesity.
And simply by existing, we are promoting obesity.

What does that mean, anyway? I don't know. I don't care. I promote body positivity, fitness, body love. Self-love, body awareness. Human love, human awareness. When I'm out there doing the damn thing, that is the height of my love. Love is not always easy, but love is love. Really, there is enough for everyone, even people who are

fat/obese/bigboned/fluffy/chubby/lovehandley/thick/round/pearshaped/appleshaped/heavy.

We know we don't have these so called aspirational bodies, but dammit--I LOVE MY BODY FOR EVERYTHING IT IS and COULD BE. I ASPIRE to whatever my body ASPIRES. My body/our bodies IS/ARE ASPIRATIONAL.


Misty Copeland doesn't have an "aspirational" ballet body in color and shape. But damn, she is doing it at the American Ballet Theatre.

Serena, victim of misogynist hatred? Slam is all.

Erica Jean Schenk? SUCCESSFUL AND BEAUTIFUL PLUS SIZED MODEL featured on the cover of a FITNESS MAGAZINE. (We'll talk about eradicating the term "PLUS SIZED MODEL in a future post)

Whitney Thore has HER OWN SHOW, and some people are REAL CONFLICTED  about that.
MELISSA MCCARTHY? TESS?

I can go on and on but I think you get the drift.

By being out there in front of YOU, whoever you might be and who thinks that my body and other fat bodies should BE something else, DO something else, and GO somewhere out of sight....I am making a pledge to myself of love, respect and honor for the sacred space that my body is. It is MY temple. Not yours.

Bye Felicia.





ความคิดเห็น