Wine & Dine Week 6 Training�Running Skirts, Jogging Strollers, and Black Walnuts!

After a few slacker weeks, I was determined to get back on track this week. I broke out my first ever running skirt to take it for a spin on Tuesday. I loved it! Seriously. I found on a clearance rack at the Champion Outlet. For $15, it fits fabulous, the shorts don�t ride up at all (a miracle all by itself!), and my run was chafe-free. SCORE!

photo(1)-001

Training

Monday: nothing

Tuesday: 4 mile run + 45 minutes of foam rolling, stretching, Sticking, and ultrasound.

Wednesday: 60 minutes Physical Therapy (include soft tissue torture, a ridiculous number of one leg squats, core, and other stuff)

Thursday: 3.1 mile stroller run (first ever!), 15 minutes of core work

Friday: 50 minute spin class,

Saturday: Attempted 10 miler, but stopped at 5 after a nasty run in with a black walnut.

Sunday: foam rolling and stretching, plus lots of ice and stim therapy for the ankle

photo(6)

On Thursday, I decided to my throw my stroller in the car and take my younger son out for a run while his brother was at school. I�ve never ran with a stroller before. Well, before I started running, I�d sometimes take the stroller out and run short bursts in between my walking just trying to burn calories and lose baby weight, but I never straight ran. I couldn�t. I didn�t have the endurance to push the stroller and run. I was intimidated by the idea, but I headed to a flat-ish running loop with a playground for the boy to play at when I was done. I pushed through 3.1 miles at a faster pace than I�ve been doing some of my runs so that was great, but I couldn�t have ran one more step. I definitely went too fast, and the smallest hills tried to kill me as I pushed up my 38lb kid up them. I hope to make this a weekly thing. I can definitely see how it will help me build endurance, and my little guy survived and had a blast playing on the playground afterwards. I gave him a snack, a drink, and some cars to hold in the stroller, and he was pretty content.

photo(7)photo(8)

My Saturday run was doomed from the start. My husband got called on Friday to do a last minute funeral on Saturday. That meant I�d have to get out early (dark early) to squeeze in my planned 10 miles. At least it was going to be cool and party cloudy despite Friday�s rain. I laid out my stuff and planned accordingly. Saturday I woke up to a dead (despite being plugged in) Garmin. I thought about screwing it all, but I talked some sense into myself. I know where the 5 mile mark is on the road heading out from my house so I decided to use a stop watch on my phone to know my time afterwards and leave it at that. I headed out the door and walked into a steady misting and cold rain. Sigh. Oh well, get moving.

The first 2 miles were cold and my fingers were numb. I was cranky and doubting my ability to do 10, but by mile 4 I was feeling good and I knew I�d be able to finish. My pace was slow and comfortable. I was enjoying the cool, wet fall weather, and I was thrilled that I was going to finish my first 10 miler in 6 months. That is until I ran into, or rather onto, this.

photo

I rolled my ankle on this black walnut. It hurt. Tears sprang to my eyes, and I knew I was in trouble. I called hubby immediately to come get me. He didn�t answer and I tested out some weight bearing. I even ran another tenth of a mile but I could feel it swelling and it sure didn�t feel good. I walked the final tenth to the 5 mile mark and called whoever I could that would tell me to not be an idiot and get off of my foot fast. My sister talked some sense into me, and I called the husband again to come get me. I was not a happy camper.

photo(9)

I am bearing weight now. It�s sore, but the swelling is already gone. I just need to see how fast I can get back running on it. I see the PT tomorrow afternoon so I�ll talk to him about it. I am choosing to celebrate the work I did do this week instead of wallowing in the frustration of another stupid injury. Just 6 more weeks to Disney!

And this week, I�m tackling my totally poor eating habits that appeared on vacation and haven�t disappeared. Hmmm green veggies and lots of fresh juice coming right up!! I�ll let you know how that goes.

ความคิดเห็น