Week 2 Training Recap - Listening to my body

 

Week 2 of training brought with it some challenges, the biggest of which included me throwing up for an entire day. Ick. Here�s the run down.

Training

Monday � Body Pump Class (60 minutes)

Tuesday � 3 miles on the treadmill on legs still dead from Body Pump followed immediately by Physical Therapy (90 minutes including soft tissue work, running/walking/marching/etc on treadmill for more gait analysis, squats, deadlifts, and other torture), Foam Rolling & Stretching.

Wednesday � 2.5 mile walk. Body, mind, and spirit simply exhausted. Foam rolling & stretching.

Thursday � Orthopedist Appt, Physical Therapy (75 minutes including soft tissue work, dead lifts, lunges, squats, core, core, and more core!), and Massage to work on my stubborn muscles.

Friday � Sick all day. Didn�t stray from my bed and my puke bowl. Really quite awful.

Saturday � Canoeing with family in morning. Back in bed exhausted and nauseated for the rest of the day. I tried to come back a little too fast. My body was not ready for anything but my bed.

Sunday � 2 mile hike with family and friends (1 mile of which I had a 35lb toddler on my back). Foam rolling and stretching.


Ouch. What a week. I�m having a hard time balancing my workouts with physical therapy. I never known if it�s going to be an easy or hard day at PT, though it seems as I�m getting stronger I am getting back into the routine of them all being hard days. But man, for the most part physical therapy is a full hour of hard strength training with 15 minutes of extremely painful soft tissue work thrown on top. It�s both hard to do on exhausted legs, and it creates exhausted legs that don�t want to work more. The break on Wednesday/Thursday this week would have been okay had I been able to go as planned Friday-Sunday with 2 runs and a spin class. My body had other ideas.

I can�t stress. It�s early on in training. Instead, I�ll wake up in the morning to go run a 5 mile race because it will ensure I get in my  5 mile training run, and I�ll make a plan for a week. All the while I am focusing on listening to my body.

photo(40)

A butterfly on my family�s hike today.

Some days I can caught up in the hows of running. I create training plans, plan races, and study the data from my Garmin. I read blogs, magazines, and books. Sometimes while I run, I even listen to podcasts about running. Some of this is helpful. I want to run faster and get stronger. I want to get and stay uninjured. I enjoy the running community and the jargon-filled chat of all things running (even if I�m still a newbie to it all!).

But perhaps, sometimes, I am missing the point. Sometimes, I forget the part of running where my body teaches me instead of me teaching my body. I�ve said that I will be listening to my body as I return to training for the Wine and Dine half marathon, but I think I need to reconsider how I do that. When I wrote that, I was thinking about paying attention to my aches and pains, communicating with the physical therapist, and trying my best to not overdo things while taking care of my body. I need to do all that, true.

At the same time, I think I need to listen to my body as I run. Listen to my body speak as it runs, let it pick it�s pace and even it�s distance. I need to listen to my body and soul as it tells me when and where I need to run, even why I need to run. It�s great to nail paces and knock out training runs, but that�s not exactly where my body�s at right now. I could force that, sure, but at worst, I could hurt myself and at a best, I�d be missing out on the gift in running right now.

The gift in running right now is that I can put aside the track workouts and ignore the time goals dreamed up before months of physical therapy. I could even *gasp* leave the Garmin at home. While my body doesn�t want to run fast and disciplined conforming to a schedule, it does want to run.

My body wants to run to feel the steady rhythm that I haven�t been able to duplicate anywhere else. My body wants to feel the sweat dripping down my back from a satisfying effort. My body wants to fall asleep at night with the delicious exhaustion that comes from a good run that day. My body (and mind) want 30-45 minutes of peace and quiet focusing on nothing else but itself. My body needs to run.

So I do have a goal up ahead, a half marathon race, and I might even throw in a 5k on vacation. But the focus of my workouts won�t be on pace or distance. It�ll be on listening to my body in a new way and soaking in the deliciousness of the run.

ความคิดเห็น