Week 1 Training Recap - Challenge Accepted!

 

Week 1 of Training for the RunDisney Wine & Dine Half Marathon is in the books. The verdict? It could have been better, and it could have been worse. I am grateful for what my body did this week, and I am proud for the work I put in. I have a long way to go, but I am getting there one mile, one workout, and one choice at a time.

Training

Monday � Gentle Flow Yoga Class (60 minutes) + 2 fast-ish treadmill miles (faster felt better on my foot) + Physical Therapy (60 minutes including soft tissue work, core work, and hip and glute exercises)

Tuesday � Spinning Express Class (45 minutes) + Foam Rolling

Wednesday � Physical Therapy (75 minutes including soft tissue work, lots of squats, core work, and some light upper body. The squats had me hurting.) + Foam Rolling

Thursday � Foam Rolling + Stretching

Friday � 4 slow miles on the track + Foam Rolling, Stretching

Saturday � Foam rolling, stretching, plus some family fun: frisbee in the park, monkey bars with the kids (I made it across the monkey bars for the first time in more than 15 years and was thrilled).

Sunday � 2 miles + Foam rolling, Stretching

It was less than I originally had planned, but I listened to my body. That sometimes meant a day of just physical therapy or just foam rolling and stretches. Oh, and lots of compression sock wearing. And while it was less than I originally planned, it was more than I�ve done in a long time.

photo(39)

Quick photo during Sunday�s 2 mile run on the Appalachian Trail.

Body

My body is hanging in there. My muscles are tight no matter how much I foam roll and stretch. I am hoping to schedule a deep tissue massage to help with that soon. I did something to my calf between Monday and Tuesday that had me sit out of my planned spin class on Wednesday. With a little extra attention, it was totally fine by Friday.

My knees have been virtually pain-free. I�ve got tight spots in my legs that I know will irritate my knees so I am working on them like crazy. My right foot is a little tight but pain-free. My left is unhappy, but I dare to say no more unhappy than last week. Immediately after runs, it tightens up and hurts. After stretching, foam rolling, Stick-ing, icing, and compression, it feels by the next morning.

Mind

I am getting used to �training� again. I know this schedule is not a full training schedule, but it�s more than I�ve been doing. The aches and pains of just working harder along with the fatigue of working harder have sent me to bed early many nights. But I�m getting used to it again, and I am hyping myself up for 11 more weeks.

Spirit

Somewhere in me, I just know I�m supposed to be doing this. I know I�m injured, and I know the training will be iffy. But I�m really certain that this is the next step for me in the recovery process. Taking on a goal, big but not huge, and walking the fine line between pushing and listening to my body.

One week after the Wine & Dine Half marathon, I am supposed to run with my sister as she finishes her first half marathon at the Philadelphia Marathon. She is understandably nervous about my ability to do that for her and thinks I am more than a little crazy. It should be at my normal long-run pace opposed to a race pace so I know it�s possible if my body tolerates the training. While I respect her nervousness as she is a ball of nerves for her first half marathon (despite that she is rocking her training thus far!), I have to say�. I know it�s a little crazy and it�s going to take a lot of dedication and work� but�.

ความคิดเห็น