*that* mom�s bookshelf - August Edition

train like a mother

Train Like a Mother is the second book by Dimity McDowell and Sarah Bowen Shea. I love these ladies and the community they�ve created through their website and their Facebook page. I enjoy their podcasts and blog posts. This book is filled with training plans and the nitty gritty details of training. Each distance (5K, 10K, half marathon, marathon) has a �Finish It� plan for those aiming to just cross the finish line and an �Own It� plan for those ready to kick some butt. I enjoyed reading it. They are inspiring, conversational, and full of good information from actual training plans to fueling, strength training, gear, and more. My only complaint is that each chapter is filled with asides in text boxes that really break up the flow of the chapter. It was frustrating to break away mid-sentence to read the box or to have go back at the end of the chapter to read all the boxes. But overall, another great resource from these Mother Runners, and it certainly has a spot next to its counterpart, Run Like a Mother, on my bookshelf!

fifty shades

Oh what�s there to say about Fifty Shades? It is terrible writing. The intimate scenes are terribly written. And the plot, well, it doesn�t make up for the former two points. And yet it�s like a car crash. You want to look away, but just can�t. Well lots of people can, but I got sucked in and enjoyed a few days immersed in the world of Christian Grey. I refused to think too hard about it or allow myself to edit the poor writing. I simply enjoyed it as an light, smutty beach type read.

 

eat & run

I loved this book. This peek into an amazing ultrarunner�s life was fun to read. It made me want to go run, and it made me want to cook! It tells of Jurek�s transition to a plant-based diet and the way he has fueled his body to extraordinary physical accomplishments. At the end of each chapter are some running tips and a recipe. The recipes are great, although the running tips seem a little forced and out of place. They are only a paragraph so it didn�t bother me much. Ultrarunning, which is covering distances greater than 26.2 miles though Jurek sticks to mostly 100+ mile races, is awe-inspiring and, quite honestly, hard to understand if you don�t do it. This book gives you a glimpse into the mental and physical challenges involved.

drama of the gifted child

This was a dry and somewhat painful read. It was suggested to me in counseling so I read it. It�s geared towards practitioners, and it is old. I was interested to see some of the principles we aspire to in parenting � real respect for the child and their feelings, gentle discipline, and unconditional parenting � described as the ideal and healthy approach. It�s always interesting to read perspectives from different disciplines and timeframes. Not sure what else to say about it, but it goes on the bookshelf because I read it - ha!

That makes 15 books so far this year which is blowing my 2012 goal of 12 out of the water! I�m glad I have found some more time to read this year a variety of books this year, and I look forward to reading more! I�m currently working on Let�s Pretend This Never Happened by the Jenny Lawson (The Bloggess) and Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr.

ความคิดเห็น