The Injured Runner Blues

Remember this beautiful training journal I dorkily (yea, I know it's not a word) made myself?


 I want to throw it out the window. Why? Because plantar fasciitis has royally screwed up my plans. After training for just two weeks, I had to take an entire week off because of the dang plantar faciitis. If that wasn't bad enough, two weeks later I still haven't gotten back on track.

Today marks the start of my 6th week of training. By today I should have ran 113 miles. Instead I've ran 71.28. As of today I should have logged 4 long runs ranging from 8 to 11 miles. Instead I've only done 2 long runs ranging from 8 to 9 miles.

I've been doing really well not completely freaking about this, but I'm beginning to freak out. The plantar fasciitis isn't getting better. I'm not logging the miles I need to log. The marathon is getting closer every single day. I'm losing motivation, patience, and mental stability by the minute.

But I can't freak out. Freaking out doesn't accomplish anything. Flexibility is key. Listening to my body is key (which I proudly although miserably did yesterday when I cut a 10 mile run short at 1 painful mile). I must adapt. Time for a new plan!

First off, I will celebrate my successes from the past 5 weeks:
Ready to Jingle Jog
  • I've ran 71.28 miles in 5 weeks. These are far from the lowest mileage weeks of my running life. In fact, in the 12 weeks leading up to my very first half marathon I only ran 112 miles total (no wonder I nearly died, but that's besides the point).
  • Despite running a lot less than planned and holiday drinking and eating, I have not gained weight in the last 5 weeks. I've actually lost 2lbs. I'm not expecting to lose weight while marathon training but not gaining while injured is a good thing.
  • I've gone to yoga three times after a three month hiatus.
  • With the help of my fabulous neighbor, a personal trainer, I've established a strength training routine that is both simple and challenging.
  • I ran my first ever 7K race (random distance, no?). I rocked my sparkle skirt and sparkly Active Band for the first time! This will be the sparkle I'll be rocking for the marathon on St. Patty's Day. And I ran a super hilly course in a respectable time, with an average pace of 9:48 minutes per mile, a pace faster than the 5K personal record I earned in September.
Next up: Treating Plantar Fasciitis (Or Attempting to Treat...) and Adapting My Training Plan

ความคิดเห็น