The Garden is IN!

I can't describe what a relief this is.  The garden is planted. As usual, not everything worked out as planned, but I am thrilled it's in. My husband tells me people garden because it's relaxing for them, because it relieves stress. I refuse to believe it.

I start seeds, and I stress that none of them will grow and it was a waste of time. Last year, I was so suspicious of the seedlings we started ourselves, that we bought plants instead of using the ones we'd grown! Granted, this year our seedlings were much happier, but we had at a handful that were healthy last year, too.  I just get so worried. I want to reap the rewards of my lovely garden. I want to save money and be frugal. And I'm convinced I don't have a clue what I'm doing because, well, I don't.

Two days ago, I checked on some of what we transplanted to find that my eggplant plants were covered in beetles that were eating the leaves. Last night after we transplanted some more, we had a crazy storm that threatened lots of hail. I held my breath through most of it occasionally gasping, "my plants" when the wind would kick up and knock something else in the yard over. Yea, gardening is not exactly stress relief for me, but that's a different story. I'm hoping to start yoga soon. I apparently need it, or serious counseling, or both.

Here's what we ended up this year...

Some potted herbs on the back porch.  Some will get moved to the front porch.

Lavendar (the marigolds behind it still need to be transplanted - shhh...)
Oregano and Cilantro

Chamomile
Rosemary, Basil, Thyme

Parsley
Oregano outside in a planter from last year - it came back. Don't mind the whale.
Then we have some sunflowers, because that's what the kids picked out.  They are coming up around these ornamental grasses that give us some privacy from church next door.

On the side of the house, we have blueberry bushes, marigolds, and some transplanted fennel.


In the garden structure we have lots of goodies! Strawberries, bush beans, hot peppers, sweet peppers, cauliflower, lettuce, kale, spinach, romaine lettuce, two kinds of eggplants, two kinds of tomatoes, zucchinis, and carrots.
Strawberries, beans, cauliflower, salad greens, eggplants, and peppers
Zucchini, eggplants, carrots, tomatoes
Our tomatoes have a mixture of coffee grounds and eggshells that provided added calcium to prevent blossom end rot.


 Next to the garden structure, we have a box with wild raspberries that we got from a friend of my mom's (and are actually coming back to life from their transplant) along with some melons. They are not fenced in so we'll see how the melons hold up.


And finally, because we like to try new things, we threw some added greens - kale, romaine, and spinach - into hanging baskets on the front porch. We are all about maximizing planting space, and it's a fun experiment.


So there you have it. Our crazy, stressful attempt at gardening!

What are you growing? Do you find gardening relaxing in the way I can't imagine?

ความคิดเห็น