Ten Mile Training Run: Ouch.

I started running for the first time in more than 5 years this past July. My running experience before that included three 5k races and that was it.  I was never a runner.  In July 2010, I started using the Couch to 5K program to prepare for a race in September. After that, I worked my way up to my first ever 10k in November. In February, I told you about my spring race schedule.  In March, I celebrated some progress as I've looked at how far I've come in both running and other areas of my life.

I am continuing to train for my half marathon May 15. I am working to go from Couch to Half Marathon in just ten months.  In July, I began this journey with intervals of sixty seconds of running combined with ninety seconds walking for thirty minutes.  Today, I ran ten miles.  I ran for just under one hour and fifty eight minutes without stopping.

I am learning a lot about running, a lot about myself, and a lot about what I still need to learn.  I'm developing preferences for gear and learning about the joys of black toe nails. I'm just beginning to figure out what to take in energy wise during a run. No matter what I've learned or still need to learn, today I ran ten miles.

Today's Gear
For today's gear, I ran with my iPhone using the Pandora app as well as the imapmyrun app as my GPS.  I carry my phone in the only armbelt I've found that will hold an iPhone in an Otterbox Defender case (a case I highly recommend as a mother to small children whose phone take's a beating). The Pandora station? Well, don't laugh too hard, but today's run was set to the Miley Cyrus station with a lot of Taylor Swift mixed in. I was looking for upbeat and light for this run to stop me from thinking too hard about the miles ahead.

I used Body Glide which I've learned to use faithfully not only between my still much-too-chubby thighs, but also on top, in between, and around all my toes. It has helped decrease, although not eliminate, blisters.

The water bottle was my newest purchase. I opted for a hand held instead of a belt because it was less expensive in case I don't like it, and I don't imagine liking stuff around my waist while running. We all know how I feel about plastic, but I thought that there was little alternative for a running bottle. I've since found a stainless option and plan on replacing my plastic one with it in the near future.  In the pouch of the water bottle, I had a package of Clif Shot Blocks and Honey Stingers to try out as far as mid-run energy.

Finally, I use my Valor Essential Oil roll-on before all my races and longer runs.  I've mentioned before how I use Young Living essential oils.  I find it to be a grounding pre-run ritual. Valor is described as...
an empowering combination of therapeutic-grade essential oils that works with both the physical and spiritual aspects of the body to increase feelings of strength, courage, and self-esteem in the face of adversity. Renowned for its strengthening qualities, Valor enhances an individual's internal resources. It has also been found to help energy alignment in the body.
The Pre-Run Picture

So I set off on my ten mile run. My ankle was bothering me for the first quarter mile but it loosened up.  The next three or so miles felt really good. I left from my house for a  five mile out and back route. I had over dressed and really should have lost the mock turtleneck, but with high winds (did I mention the crazy winds? yea they were fun) it was hard to gauge before I headed out.  Muscles or joints twinged, and I tried to simply acknowledge my body's needs, sitting with the various sensations, and for the most part I was able to work through things this way.

I passed cows, sheep, goats, alpacas chickens, horses, and lots of groundhogs. I passed the Appalachian Trail, the New York state line, a really old cemetery, an apple orchard, and a couple bed and breakfasts. The views were breath taking. But, the ups and downs of the hills and the crazy wind took its toll on me.  With three miles left, I was hurting. I was fighting with my desire to give up and walk with every hill I hit.

I thought I might actually fall over and die. I ran out of water around this point which was not good.  I had used it to take energy at  the 3, 4.5, 5.5, 7, and 8.5 mile marks.  I took either one shot block or two honey stingers each time.  Energy wise I felt okay. A couple of times I thought I might just burst into tears like when the wind kicked up again while I was climbing one of the steepest hills or when the truck driving by kicked up a piece of gravel that hit me smack in the middle of the forehead.

Post 10 Miles.
But I did it! I was hurting when I stopped. I just kind of walked around moaning for fifteen minutes or so. I used my foam roller and stretched after that.  Later, I iced my foot and knee, took a mineral salt bath, and used lots of Arnica and Panaway essential oil. My right knee is bothering me a bit, and my tailor's bunion on my left foot is incredibly painful at this point, but more on that in another post. I'm hoping a good night's sleep will provide some good recovery and a better idea if any of this pain should be a real concern or not.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy the fact that I ran 10 miles today, something that I would have never imagined I'd do in my lifetime.... well that, and try not to move too much.

ความคิดเห็น