The Basics...

The first and most important rule is you have to stop walking barefoot! I tell my patients, "If I had a sign in my reception room that said stop walking barefoot and my patients followed that advice, I'd lose most of my business." 
If you stop walking barefoot, you will have a significant decrease in foot, ankle, knee, hip, and lower back pain over the next several week. I'm not kidding!
It's that crazy simple...
Some patients argue that "Cavemen walked barefoot so therefore it must be natural and good for your feet." 
I would argue that cavemen weren't walking around on concrete and often probably didn't live past thirty so they didn't have to worry about developing degenerative joint disease that would plague them when they are seventy and wanting to retire and relax. 
People fight this rule. I don't know why. What's so great about walking barefoot? It's the perfect way to:
1. Pick up verrucae (Warts).
2. Foreign bodies like cactus spines (remember, I'm in Arizona) and glass - which can turn into an out-patient surgery under anesthesia. 
3. Tendonitis.
4. Plantar Fasciitis (If you've had it, you know how debilitatingly painful it can be)...
5. Breaking a toe slamming it into a bedpost or door in the middle of the night. 
6. Stress Fractures from continuous low-grade micro-trauma (I see it all the time).
7. Callused heels (painful and ugly).
8. Fungus. And once you have an athlete's foot fungal infection of the skin, it's just a matter of time until it infects the toenails. 
9. There's lots more but it's time for me to put on my walking shoes and hit the treadmill...

I plan to review shoes and give recommendations based on:
1. Types of shoes (Running, sandals, dress, ect...) 
2. Types of pathologies (Heel pain, bunions, hammertoes, ect...)
3. Types of patients (Pediatrics, Sports Enthusiasts, Geriatrics, and, yes, the fashionista with foot issues!) 
  

ความคิดเห็น