If you were a middle schooler....


Last week, I had an opportunity to speak to a wonderful group of middle schoolers at the Latin School of Chicago. I told them a little of my history, plus a story that included a bit about a day that some kids in my middle school program called National Butt Day.

I won't tell you the story now, but it included someone in my grade calling me a fat bitch on a crowded subway train in New York. In short, I told the students this story because I wanted to let them know that as stinging and hurtful as that comment was, I managed to move on from it.

I didn't let it ruin my person-hood or my humanity. I had a pretty solid understanding of who I was by then, and again--although it was painful to have someone call me that--I grew up to be a fairly confident, self-loving and respecting person.

Before I left, however, I posed this question on my public Facebook Page "Fatgirlrunning":

If you were a middle school student, what message on body image would you appreciate the most?

 I have to say that I really enjoyed the multitude of truly awesome messages that people wish they had heard as middle schoolers. I wanted to share some of those responses:



Everyone looks different. It's what makes us special and unique. Embrace your uniqueness!
-April

 Be thankful every day that you have a body that works. You will also look back in 20 years and wish you could tell yourself how beautiful you really were. I know I wish I could. Focus on the beautiful things about yourself.
-Tania

You are a perfect YOU!
-Tamie

Do what makes you feel good and listen to yourself.
-Jolene

Eat to nourish your body.
-Lisa

Love YOUR body...it's ok to be different.
-Courtney

That the words we say to ourselves are important. Positive self-talk is part of being healthy.
-Mindy

You are beautiful and you have every right to feel that way. Do not ever give away your power!     
-Stefanie

That right now your body is going through so many changes it can be overwhelming. But it just means you are transitioning from a child into a young lady that will grow into a wonderful strong woman. Focus in what makes you happy and remember always be kind and uplifting to one another.
-Bridget  

Don't judge yourself based on other people's comments about you. People who criticize are often the ones that have the lowest self-image. Compliment others and it will always make you feel good. If you love yourself, you will be a positive role model for someone else. 
-Monique 

Being healthy and beautiful for that matter doesn't mean conforming to one specific body type. 
-Tribe Called Curl


WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO YOUR MIDDLE SCHOOL SELF?


  

ความคิดเห็น