Let's Step Into the Zone of Discomfort, together!

The current state of my living room floor. Way too much stuff for 5 days, but I'm learning to pare down...for the next trip.

I'm going on a backpacking trip this weekend with students, none of whom I know very well.

I love backpacking and I love students-- even if they're not in my chorus, in my Spanish classes, or on my cross country team.

As much as I adore backpacking and hanging out with smelly tenth graders for 5 days in the woods far away from a cell-tower, bathrooms, other people...and too close to bears, snakes,  nightly rainstorms, and lots o bugs--I am always a little bit scared and nervous. Every backpacking trip is a pretty big step out of my comfort zone.

Backpacking is a big set of WHAT IFS, MAYBES, POSSIBLES, and UNXPECTEDS...

What if I break my ankle (again) and I have to be medivac'ed out?
What if I didn't bring enough clothes?
What if I don't like the guides? What if they don't like me?
What if they think I'm too fat to do this?
What if I get cold?
What if the students hate me?
What if I get hot?
What if I can't get up that stupid mountain (pick one) without someone helping me? God forbid it's a student!

OMG maybe I should just stay. Maybe I should just do something that doesn't require me carrying my own toilet paper and and trowel.

BUT NOPE. Every year I decide to go. I decide to lean into that discomfort because it's the only way for me to grow. Also, I hope that my students see me simultaneously dreading and enjoying the trip, learning something new, and ultimately becoming a better, more complete person with a host of different experiences under my belt.

We'll see starting today!

HOW DO YOU STEP OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE?
Do you lean?
Do you jump?
Do you tip-toe like a ninja, body flop?

What crazy things have you done, fitness-related or not, that have made you grow exponentially? JOIN THE DISCUSSION IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!

ความคิดเห็น