Ready to Race

Monday morning I will run the Warwick 5K for the second time. Last year, it was my return to running after more than 5 years off (and having barely been a runner before that).
 



Finishing my first 5k in 5 years - Labor Day 2010
I am ready for this race. Since I ran last year, I have run my first 10k, another 5k, a marathon relay, and a half marathon. I weigh 15lbs less than I did last year for this race. Last year's time was 34:29. I ran a 5k in March in 33:58. The fastest 5k I've run in my entire life was June 2005 with a time of 32:41. That is my time to beat. Speed isn't something that comes easily to me as I've focused on building distance over the past year of learning to run, but I've spent some time working on it this summer. Regardless of whether I PR (runner lingo for set a personal record), I'm determined to run hard and leave it all on the race course. 
 
Tomorrow I'll run 2 easy miles to loosen up my muscles because they need it after a killer workout last night. I was stressed to the max and had given up on my workout. My husband was finishing up dinner and in a moment of calm in the chaos told me to go run. Just GO. So I did. I hit the treadmill in the basement as a result of the insanity, but it was way better than skipping the workout. It was a huge stress relief, and man that stress lit a fire under my, well, you know.
 
 
 Excuse the fuzzy picture, but that would be 5 miles in 50:22 with a 1.0 incline (so slightly downhill). I felt awesome! That's faster than my 5k goal race pace!!! Holy moly!
 
I am also psyched to run with a kick-ass playlist. As I've been working on picking up the speed, I've been realizing the difference the right music makes. This is the first custom playlist I've made for the purpose of speed and getting my through this race. I've never raced with music before because I like to be able to talk to other runners and enjoy the atmosphere, but Monday is all about focusing on my goal. If music helps me do it, I'm all for it.
 
5k Race Playlist 
Rolling in the Deep - Adele
Party Rock Anthem - LMFAO
Run the World - Beyonce
Real Gone - Sheryl Crow
Girlfriend - Avril Lavigne
Where Dem Girls At - David Guetta -
U and Ur Hand � Pink
We R Who We R - Ke$ha
Raise Your Glass - Pink 
Fighter - Christina Aguilera

So what do you think? Do you run to music? What do you like?

I'll also be racing with my fancy schmancy new Garmin Forerunner 305 which I am still learning to use but is totally fun. I cannot wait to come back Monday afternoon and post my race results and recap for you. If you're impatient, I'll get immediate results up on Twitter (@hippypastorwife) and Facebook.

ความคิดเห็น