Run Amuck 5k Mud Run Recap

On Saturday, I ran in my first ever MUD RUN!!! I was so incredibly excited about this. I mean what could be better than running in mud? Okay, before ya'all give me your snarky responses, let's just leave it at me being totally psyched.
Before: We were so ready for this. HA!
 In the lead-up, I was pretty worried about the strength component of the obstacles, but I did add in a decent amount of strength training in the past two months. I thought I'd at least have the running down, but since my half marathon I have not more than 3 miles a week. Yep, you read that right. Ouch. So I felt totally unprepared in the end, but my friend C and I were ready to just have fun with it!

Duct-taped shoes so you don't lose them in the mud

My mom watched my kids, so my husband came along to drive and take pictures of the adventure. We arrived at the state park nice and early. We caught a glimpse of a couple obstacles as we went to go check in, and the nerves started a bit. But while walking over to check-in the funniest thing, well at least funniest to me, happened. C who would be running with me stopped dead in front of a mud puddle trying to figure out a way to get around as is most people's tendencies when confronted with a mud puddle. At the time, I found it so completely hysterical that she was avoiding this little mud puddle considering what we had in store for us. I laughed until I cried. That pretty much set the tone for the rest of the day. Lots and lots of laughs.


No idea.
Even less of an idea.

The atmosphere was a lot of fun in comparison to traditional races. People were completely out to have fun, and we knew the beer tent would be waiting for us when we got back. We watched the first group head out and finish. The first few guys were fast and not very muddy. We didn't quite know what to expect, but we lined up at the start, laughed and danced a bit, and then we were off!

What followed was a pretty strenuous 3.5 mile trail run with walls, cargo nets to climb or run through, multiple stream crossings including sometime where the race course was the actual stream bed, a beach run, a waist/chest deep water crossing, and of course the mud pits. It was a blast. Lots of laughter, some running, some walking, and lots of gorgeous views. (I definitely need to go back there hiking with the family!).  Afterwards we reveled in our dirtiness, drank a delicious beer while watching others finish, and made our plans for next year because it was that. much. fun!


Heading into the big water crossing.





Can't wait to get out on some more trail runs to be a little faster next year, and I might have to find another mud run or two to check out like the infamous Warrior Dash!

ความคิดเห็น