My love/hate relationship with running


Yesterday, I ran 6.25 miles for the first time in my life. I felt like Superwoman, if Superwoman had just been ran over by a car. But seriously, it was a huge accomplishment. I never thought my body was capable of such a thing. And it felt good. I mean it hurt like a bitch, but it felt good.

I love running when I'm not doing it. When I'm doing it, I think it's the dumbest thing on earth, but I convince myself to keep going. When I am convincing myself to keep going, I tell myself things like "you gave birth naturally, c'mon, you can do this". But really running is much harder than giving birth.

During labor, the contractions just come, you ride them like waves, you can't stop them so you let them carry you. With running, you have to CHOOSE to take every single step. You have to will yourself not to stop with every tenth of a mile, with every hill, with every pain you feel. And because of this, running is the hardest thing I've ever done. And because I push myself beyond places i ever imagined and because my body comes through for me, I have come to love running... At least when I'm not actually doing it.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

ความคิดเห็น