The garden series = post #1

You might remember how we started our seeds for a garden way back when.  Then it became time to build the garden.  We live in an area where we are blessed with lots of furry friends from bunnies to bears, we've got a little bit of everything with the groundhogs and deer being some of the biggest chompers around.  As a result, we knew we couldn't just plant stuff in the ground and leave it at that.  That's where we started.  With a husband who really likes to build things (talking about the 'structural integrity' and 'design plan' along the way), you can imagine how this might have grown along the way.  Nevertheless, I am really happy with the end product for the most part.  We put in a lot of blood, sweat, and yea, their might have been a few tears into this (along with the help of my father-in-law and $52.50 thrown at the local landscaping company for a little labor), and we seem to have come out the other side with a very sound structure that still has some appealing design features (no, I'm not mocking my husband, I would never).  To his credit, a number of folks from church have asked if we built it from a kit.  We'll take that as a compliment, thankyouverymuch!

So here's a ridiculously long, well what we'll call a little recap of the build. 


Day #1


My fabulous father-in-law came up to help with the impending build.  He likes building things that are "structurally sound" and taking far too many trips to Home Depot, Lowe's and the local hardware store (yep, they did all three multiple times) as much as my husband does, but with all the work he did, I cannot complain one bit (though I can still make a little fun on my blog, it is my blog after all). 

We started with something like this.


The boys set to work sinking posts.  Apparently, we have really rocky soil or something 'cause they said it wasn't so easy.  (I didn't get pictures of them working the 2 man post hole digger which I'm a little sad about, but I've had to move on.)  Meanwhile the kids were soooo helpful.  Seriously, worth their weight in gold.  What?  My nose is growing? 

Yes, Daddy, I am filling in those holes that you so painstakingly  dug?  But, aren't I cute?
Dammit, I really am cute.  What do you mean, where's mommy?  She's taking pictures of me, because, yes, I really am cute.

The older one was a little more helpful.  He helped gather rocks to throw in the holes before they poured in the cement.  And yes, barefoot construction is totally a good idea.  Safety is number one around here.


Oh and yes, here are the tears I spoke of.  What do you mean I can't eat concrete?  My parents hate me!! Where's DYFS?  Oh, the huMAAANity!


 And here is where we finished off day #1. 


Did I mention we only had a half a day left with my father-in-law.  Well, crap.

I promise, the story has a happy ending!  Stay tuned.

ความคิดเห็น